Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August Sunrise Tam






The days are getting longer here and when I go out to feed the chickens and the cows I am treated to the most beautiful sunrises. The sky across the ocean is streaked with all shades of pinks and reds and mauves. The blue sky shows through and in the distance to the north are snow covered mountains and the green earth is the centre. I tried to show this in a tam, although I realise that it's a bit ambitious and a tam is maybe not the best vehicle for it.
I've used handspun and dyed it with madder, red sandalwood, natural indigo, poroporo and lichen.
I've included a photo of two of the sheep who contribute their wool to my spinning wheel. The black one is my Pitt Island. She's very naughty but more fun than regular breeds. Pitt Island sheep are a feral breed and she is quite wild.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi! I found your blog through Ravelry. Your tams are fabulous! Beautiful designs, and even more wonderful because you use your own handspun and natural dyes. I enjoy the photos of your sheep as well.
Best regards,
Jenny

blodeuedd said...

Thanks, Jenny. I'm glad you're enjoying them. I haven't shown the sheep what I've done but they're busy thinking about lambs at the moment - as much as sheep think deeply about anything.
all the best
Kate