Sunday, February 14, 2010

Batwing Cardigan

A couple of years ago I bought a very dirty white cria fleece for $20 and it’s been waiting to be used since then. I decided that a light weight cardigan would be most useful in this climate, so I spun it as finely as I could and asked Doespins if she would dye it for me. It came out a beautiful raspberry pink.
The pattern uses a wool called May Queen but I don’t know what it was exactly. The design seems to be early 1950s and the needle size is quite small. I imagine May Queen was a fine 2-ply. I had to go down a needle size to get the correct tension.
The buttons were a problem and I never quite solved it. I wanted vintage shank buttons in pearl or diamante but finding twelve to match was too difficult and in the end I just used what I had.
I particularly like the little cabled collar.

No comments: